During the 2014-15 reading period, we will be accepting submissions from Sept. 15th, 2014 through Jan. 15th, 2015. All submissions received during the reading period will be read. The response time will vary according to the number of submissions. We make every effort to respond to all submissions within four months of receipt.
Please note that all submissions are considered for both The Kenyon Review and KROnline. We publish the best work we can find—this is the case for both KR and KROnline. The two are aesthetically distinct spaces. We urge our submitters to read and become familiar with both.
You will find a live link to our submittable.com submissions portal on this page starting September 15th. We do not accept submissions via email or regular mail. All work must be submitted using our submittable.com portal. Creating an account is free, and you can easily keep track of your submissions from within your account.
Please submit no more than one submission in a given genre while a decision from us is outstanding; multiple submissions sent in the same genre will be returned unread. Simultaneous submissions are permitted. Please notify us immediately if the work has been accepted elsewhere:
- For prose and drama submissions, please use your submittable.com account to withdraw your piece
- For poetry submissions, please use your submittable.com account to add a note to your submission listing the titles of works no longer available for consideration
We will only consider work that has not been previously published.
Thank you in advance for sharing your work with us!
- short fiction and essays (up to 7,500 words)
- poetry (up to 6 poems; please format and submit as a single document)
- plays (up to 30 pages)
- excerpts (up to 30 pages) from larger works
- translations of poetry and short prose
We do not accept:
- unsolicited reviews
- unsolicited interviews
- email submissions (please use the submittable.com system on our site)
- previously published material
Tips and other helpful information—please read!
- When you are submitting poetry, please group up to six poems in a single document and then upload your submission. Do not submit your poems individually; doing so will make your poems appear as multiple poetry submissions, which will be returned unread.
- Regarding translations: the translator is responsible for all author and publisher permissions regarding the source work.
- You agree to be added to The Kenyon Review email lists when you submit to the The Kenyon Review. You may unsubscribe from these lists at any time.
- We generally follow the Chicago Manual of Style and Webster’s Tenth New Collegiate Dictionary. Authors planning to use endnotes and/or citations should download our guidelines (Acrobat Reader is required) or send a stamped, self-addressed envelope for our citation style guide before submitting manuscripts.
- When using the submittable.com submissions program, please be sure to add The Kenyon Review‘s email address (email@example.com) to your spam blocker software so that you can receive correspondence from us.
- Payment for accepted work is made upon publication. Authors retain their copyright and will receive a contract upon acceptance.
- Once you have submitted, you can log-in to your submittable.com account and check on the status of your submission at any time during our submission period starting September 15th or thereafter. If it has been longer than five months since you submitted and you have not received a response from us regarding the status of your submission, you may query us at firstname.lastname@example.org for an update.