The Kenyon Review invites applications for its Associates Program
Successful applicants will gain hands-on experience in literary editing, publishing, and marketing. Participants will work directly with KR staff on a wide range of projects and initiatives, and benefit from special literary, cultural, and professional opportunities throughout the year.
This program is made possible through an initiative of The Kenyon Review, part of the mission of which is to contribute to the enrichment of the academic, cultural, and artistic life of the Kenyon College community.
What the Associates Program Offers
KR Associates will work closely with staff and interns, gaining hands-on experience in a number of editing, publishing, and programming areas including:
- Manuscript evaluation
- Copy editing
- Developing Web site and social media content
- Outreach programming
- Event planning and promotion
- Letterpress projects
“Nuts and Bolts” Publishing Seminars
Every Thursday at common hour, Kenyon Review staff and/or outside experts will conduct a series of “nuts and bolts” publishing seminars covering such subjects as:
- Editorial philosophy
- Evaluation of submissions
- Copy editing
- Print and electronic production
In addition, KR Associates will enjoy:
- Special contact with visiting writers and speakers
- Free copies of The Kenyon Review
- Impressive resume entry and opportunity for employment reference including a Letter of Completion detailing the work Associates do for KR.
Requirements and Expectations
All Kenyon Review Associates are required to:
- Attend weekly seminars during Thursday common hour
- Spend two hours per week at Finn House (in addition to the weekly seminar). This time will be spent reading submissions and assisting with various projects and events
- Read a minimum of eight KR submissions per week
- Attend at least two readings each semester
- Assist with at least one special event or project area each semester
Associates who meet these expectations will receive a Letter of Completion detailing the work Associates do for KR. Associates who do not meet these expectations may not be allowed to continue in the spring semester.
All Kenyon students are invited to apply. Please review the requirements and expectations before applying. All associates must attend a training workshop on Saturday, September 13th.
Students who did not participate in the Associates Program in 2013-14 can fill out an online application at http://www.kenyonreview.org/associate-application/ (To access this page, use the password: crowe). This application asks you to provide:
- Your full name, hometown, major (if applicable), and graduation year
- A 200-word statement outlining why you want to participate in the program.
- A 200-word response to the following questions: What are you reading right now? Who would you recommend it to and why?
Students who participated in the Associates program in 2013-14 will receive a link to the returnee application on August 28th.
The application for New Applicants will be available from September 2nd-8th.
2014-15 Application Timeline
September 2 • 11:10am Cheever Room (Finn House): Informational Meeting with David Lynn, editor
September 4 • Returnee applications due
September 6 • 11:00am-1:00pm Ransom Lawn: Info available at the Student Activities Fair
September 8 • 12 Noon: Applications Due.
September 11: Acceptance decisions announced via email.
September 13: Mandatory training workshop for all Associates.
Questions? Please contact Tory Weber for more information.