An Introduction to the KR Fellowships
In 2012, The Kenyon Review welcomed the first of its KR Fellows. This initiative was inspired by the great tradition of Kenyon Review literary fellowships awarded in the 1950s to writers such as Flannery O’Connor and W.S. Merwin in their formative years. These fellowships represent a significant fulfillment of one aspect of our continuing mission: to recognize, publish, and support extraordinary authors in the early stages of their careers. We believe that after two years, these KR Fellows will be more mature and sophisticated writers, teachers, and editors. As a result, they will be extremely attractive candidates for academic positions as well as for significant publishing opportunities.
This two-year post-graduate residential fellowship at Kenyon College offers qualified individuals time to develop as writers, teachers, and editors. The fellowship provides an annual $35,150 stipend, plus health benefits. Fellows are expected to:
- Undertake a significant writing project and attend regular individual meetings with faculty mentors.
- Teach one class per semester in the English Department of Kenyon College, contingent upon departmental needs.
- Assist with creative and editorial projects for The Kenyon Review and KROnline.
- Participate in the cultural life of Kenyon College by regularly attending readings, lectures, presentations, and other campus activities.
Eligible candidates must meet the following requirements:
- An MFA or PhD in creative writing, English literature, or comparative literature completed between January 1, 2012 and September 15, 2017.
- Teaching experience in creative writing and/or literature at the undergraduate level.
Applications will be accepted electronically beginning August 15 and ending September 15, 2017, and should include the following:
- A one-page cover letter
- A curriculum vitae
- An 8-10 page writing sample
- An unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which should directly address the applicant’s teaching ability
All application materials, including letters of recommendation, must be submitted by September 15, 2017 for full consideration. There is no application fee.
- August 15-September 15, 2017: Application period
- November, 2017: Applicants notified about first round decisions; online interviews with semi-finalists
- November-December, 2017: Kenyon College campus visits for finalists
- January, 2018: Final decisions
- August 1, 2018: Fellowship begins
For questions or more information contact: